Thursday, October 03, 2013

Nothing is EASY here.


I don't really like to sound like a complainer, but I'm being real here. My house, I am happy to report has many "perks" for Kenya (minimum requirements for the US, I might add). But each "perk" has an annoying inconvenience to go along with it.

The house DOES have hot water for the showers--you just have remember to turn on the switch to the small water heater that is mounted to the wall above the shower a few minutes ahead of time.

The showers DO have decent water pressure--you just have to remember to switch on the water pump BEFORE getting undressed.

I DO have a washing machine for my clothes--it just has a quarter of the capacity of my old washer, and it uses a TON of water. It's being worked on as we speak because it's broken. I've been hand washing everything while waiting for it to be repaired. I hang my clothes to dry, btw.

I DO have a refrigerator--it's just that I have to remember to wash my produce BEFORE putting it in the fridge or else tiny bugs will crawl down from my bananas, spread out to all areas of the fridge and die there.

I DO have running water, but we've been advised not to drink it. So, I have to pump drinking water through a Seychelle filter that Mom and Dad told me about, and I have to dip my washed dishes in bleach water, and I also have to use the pumped/filtered water with added vinegar for washing my vegetables.

I DO have flushable toilets, I just sometimes have to flush a few times to get them to completely flush.

I'm just realizing how easy I had it before. It takes so long to do things here that I am seriously considering getting house help.

2 Comments:

Blogger leilani said...

Really incredible Yols. Wishing you the best. You sound like you're getting the hang of things despite the extra work, thought soon it will all be second nature to you. Proud of you!

10:15 PM  
Blogger Selena said...

Go ahead and get some help Yo. There is a reason people have servants there. The inconveniences make it difficult to handle alone. Don't feel guilty for choosing what makes life comfortable for you.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home